Monday, 22 July 2013
Minimum Wage & Overtime
1. How many hours should a worker work in one week legally?
2. Does that apply across the board i.e. Public and Private ?
3. If 40 is the answer to number 1, how come there is no overtime for employees at cloth store or other private owned places and labour board doesn't mention it.
4. I work Monday- Friday 8:00-4:30 ( with 1/2 hr lunch) and Saturdays 8-2pm ( no lunch break) Is this legal?
According to the Minimum Wages (Shop Assistants) Order, 1991:
1. Section 4 - 40 hours INCLUDING lunch
2. Yes. Laws cover the entire country, regardless of sector
3(a) You are entitled to over-time under Section 5 – 1.5x your regular rate for the first 4 hours over 40 hours, 2x for the second 4 hours and 3x for any time after that.
(b) The "Labour Board" can only deal with issues that are brought to its attention. Your first step is writing to your employer. You are protected from being fired for complaining, so don't worry.
4(a) Based on my calculation (and I’m not very good at Math), you are currently being illegally made to work an extra 6.5 hours/week. This means you should be paid an extra 1.5x/4 + 2x/4 + 3x/.5
(b)You are also entitled to lunch on Saturdays; i.e., 45 minutes break after every 4.5 hours worked; this is according to Section 4 of the Minimum Wages Order