Sunday, 31 March 2013

Trinidad and Tobago Law against Gay Marriages

Q: Can you point me to the relevant law against same-sex couples getting married in Trinidad and Tobago?

A: It can be found in the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Act 1972, as amended - Section 13(1) A marriage which takes place after the commencement of this Act shall be void on the following grounds...:
(c) that the parties are not respectively male and female.

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Duty to stop after an accident

Q: Where does it say that someone must stop after an accident?

A: According to Section 79 of the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act Chapter 48:50:
 (1) Where, owing to the presence of a vehicle on a road, an accident occurs whereby injury or damage is caused to any person, animal or property, the driver of such vehicle shall immediately stop, and—
(a) if any person has been injured in the accident, the driver shall render such person aid, and if the person wishes to be taken to hospital or to a doctor, or is unconscious, convey or cause to be conveyed the injured person without delay to the nearest hospital or to a doctor;

(b) if requested by the injured person or by the owner of the damaged property or some person on such owner’s behalf, the driver shall give his name and address and particulars of his driving permit and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle;

(c) unless a report is made by the driver at the time and place of the accident to a member of the Police Service, the person riding in, driving or in charge of the vehicle shall proceed with all proper despatch to the nearest Police Station or police constable in uniform and shall report the accident, and shall give his name and address and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle and the names of any persons in the vehicle at the time of the accident.

(2) Any person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence.