Search This Blog

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Applying for Criminal Injuries Compensation

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) was established in 2006 to provide victims of violent crimes with compensation for the injuries they suffered. It is NOT an entitlement, so it is considered a favour, or something done in kindness by the government. 

Crimes covered:
  • Murder, manslaughter, injury or wounding, poison
    Ø  I’m not sure why rape isn’t included.

Which expenses are compensated:
  • Funeral and/or medical expenses
  • Loss of earnings
  • Monetary loss

Who can claim:
  • Surviving victims who suffered physical and mental injury as a result of a violent crime. 
  • Dependents of the deceased victim. 
  • Person responsible for caring for the victim or dependent.

Restriction to claims:
  • Victim’s injury or death was due to failure to comply with the law
  • The victim contributed to his injury or death
  • Accidents in cars, planes or boats, unless it was deliberately used by another to cause harm or bodily injury
  • Application cannot be filed after one (1) year of the injury or death of the victim

Required documents:
  • Three (3) copies of the application form (e-mail me for a copy, or collect from MoJ)
  • Medical and/or death certificate
  • Birth papers of the dependents
  • Identification card of the victim/applicant
  • Funeral and/or medical receipts
  • Other supporting documents

Submit documents to:
Ministry of Justice Head Office
Tower C, Levels 19 to 21
International Waterfront Complex
#1 Wrightson Road

Tel: 1-868-625-JUST (5878)
Fax: 1-868-623-5596


  1. hi good day i was injured by my neighbor and was home for two months without pay. the police however has not done one thing i think it is a joke not an officer has been to speak with the individual and she is constantly harassing me up to this day i am unable to enter my home cause she waits lurking to see when I'm coming to do her mischief


“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it."